Sunday, September 27, 2009

Can you trust Wikipedia?

This topic was very interesting to me because I remember in high school when I would do research papers and my teachers would tell me that using Wikipedia was okay. Then when I became a senior, my teachers would say that we can use Wikipedia we just have to find another site with the same information. Then in college, every single one of my Professors told the class that we couldn't, under any circumstance, use Wikipedia. Now I understand why.

This is so weird and a little unnerving that anyone can go into WIkipedia and just change the information in it. I am now agreeing with everyone when they say that it is not a reliable source, it just happens to be the first source when you look something up in a search engine. I think it's completely shameful for someone to go in and change what Wikipedia says about something just because they don't like it or they want to enhance the image of the topic. As with the Wikipedia Scanner, I think it's a good idea to have because now you know when an entry in Wikipedia has been tampered with.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I disagree. You have to be cautious with all sources since they all are biased in some way. I would say that you need to keep your eyes open and your brain on. And the instructions when you were a senior seem quite appropriate!

    ReplyDelete