Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Toward a New Future of Whatever- Michael Wesch


I really enjoyed this video by Michael Wesch. It was very entertaining and light hearted; I actually found myself laughing out load!! I have never heard someone declare the 90's and today as the MTV generation but I totally agree with him. These days too many kids are spending more time in front of a TV and not enough time reading or doing school work. What's really bad is the kind of garbage these kids are watching!
I also liked all the different meanings of the word "whatever". I never knew there were different definitions but I think from now on I'll be a little more careful when using the word "whatever". I also liked the word "meh" because I know I definitely use it and I think I'm going to stop or find a better word!!
I agreed with Mr. Wesch when he said that today's kids are more miserable because they all think they are the next "American Idol" and when they find out that they aren't, they are shocked and upset. I also agreed with him when he compared his class to the audience and participants of the show American Idol. Why is it that we are so engaged in reality TV shows but in the classroom we are spacey and disengaged? I wish I knew the answer to this because in reality, this could really help me in school!!
When Mr. Wesch's class did a project on YouTube, they found that over 500,000 videos are uploaded a day! These videos can range from a viewing of a concert to your new baby being cute or even your dog doing tricks! Completely irrelevant videos but with just several viewings, these videos can become an overnight success! Overall this speech was very enlightening and witty. It definitely opened my eyes on what different words or letters(meh) can mean even when you don't mean it in that way and where our generation started from and unfortunately where we can be going! You can find this video by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment