Sunday, August 30, 2009

Podcasts Reviews

The first podcast I listened to was Teaching With Smart Board episode 57. I enjoyed listening to this podcast because it went step by step on how to bring Smart Board into your Math lesson. I found this episode particularly interesting because I want to be a Math teacher. This podcast really sounded like the speakers knew what they were talking about. Especially in the beginning when Tony was talking about how to find the area of a trapezoid by using the Smart Board. I like this podcast because while the students are trying to find the area, they are able to come up to the Smart Board and try and figure the area out themselves. Using a Smart Board is a good idea with a Math lesson because it gets the entire class involved.

The next podcast I listened to was KidCast episode 58 by Dan Schmit. In this podcast, Dan Schmit talked about students and their podcasts. He talked about how most of the podcasts done by students were done because they were told to do it in their computer class. He says it seemed that the students only put forth the work that they needed and that they didn't really take the time to be creative and show that they wanted to do it and felt like they could learn from it. He also says that he wants the students to come up with a presentation and not just a slide show for example. He goes on to say that what the students should do is to have an extended academic conversation. The students should find an idea they are really interested in and do the research and make a presentation on it, this way it is something they are interested in and not something they have to do in class.

Third, I listened to EdTechTalk episode 159 by Paul Allison, Susan Ettenheim, and Thomas Locke. In this podcast, three Elementary Teachers from New York City are talking about a book by Suzie Bosk called "Reinventing Project Based Learning". I found this podcast difficult to listen to because I felt like I was listening to talk radio and it was really hard to understand. However, this book has really helped many teachers and it sounds really interesting to read.

Next I listened to MacBreak Weekly episode 154 "Graceful Degradation." He was accompanied by several men in this podcast. In this podcast, they are discussing everything Mac. This podcast also sounds like talk radio and in this podcast it seems to me that the men are talking more to hear their own voices rather than getting to the point. They do find ways to say "Apple", "Mac", and "I-Phones" several times. I didn't find this very interesting because it really seems like they are just catching up and never getting to the point.

Lastly, I listened to "This Week in Photography" episode 104. This also sounds like talk radio. I also feel like in this podcast they are talking just to talk. It is also very redundant. The people talking in this podcast spent time talking about audio books and all sorts of things that are not related to the topic so it was really hard to get into the podcast. They are all talking about buying a camera strap and are asking whether or not people really use the camera straps.

1 comment:

  1. I had not heard of Project Based Learning so I looked it up on Amazon. Here is the quote from the book that Amazon uses to advertise it: "... This endeavor requires learning about new and emerging technologies. You decide to give up the traditional teacher's role of being the content expert, and that means learning new ways to engage with your stu- 4 Reinventing Project-Based Learning ..." Sounds good to me! But $ 34.25. The electronic Kindle edition is only $ 12.95. A book with the same name, aimed at hgh school teachers/class is $ 180.00 Wow.

    So I didn't order it!

    Very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete